Barriers to Engagement
The People’s View – what stops people getting involved?
What is this?
The table below lists the possible barriers to citizen engagement faced by older people.
You will find full descriptions of each of the barriers below the table.
What is its use?
This is the basic version. In other parts of the toolkit, you will find examples of how we used this version as a template
Lack of personal resources:
- Education & skills
- Physical & mental health
- Mobility & transportation
- Disability & sensory impairments
- Social confidence & self-esteem
- The opportunity to meet other people socially
Lack of motivation:
- No knowledge of benefits of participation
- Unaware of opportunities for participation
- The issues debated are of little interest
Previous negative experiences:
- Unsatisfactory meetings
- Too many consultations with no definite outcomes or impacts
- Failures of Local Authority to listen
- Perception of being controlled
- Unmet expectations
- It takes too long for anything to happen or change
People have unmet needs:
- Language and literacy
- Values and beliefs
- Form and style of engagemen