Childcare Offer - 3 and 4 year old Government Funded Childcare

We are one of seven local authorities to pilot the Welsh Government 3 and 4 year offer for parents working 16 hours or more per week.

Eligible children could be entitled to up to 20 funded hours of government funded childcare during term time in addition to the 10 hours already provided by the part-time Foundation Phase. During school holidays, parents will be able to access 30 hours of childcare. 

This offer is for working parents of children aged 3/4 in part-time Foundation Phase provision. If your child starts in reception full-time this September they are therefore not be eligible for the childcare which compliments part-time provision.

If eligible, children will receive the childcare element of the offer from the term after their third birthday, until they are offered a full time education place – usually the September after their fourth birthday.

Parents who live in the pilot areas are able to choose any registered childcare setting that suits their personal and family circumstance, whether inside or outside of county, in agreement with the provider and the local authority. The childcare does not have to be delivered by the same provider as the Foundation Phase provision.  

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for free child care you must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Your child is aged 3 or 4 years
  • You live in one of the following areas: Argoed, Blackwood, Cefn Fforest, Crumlin, Newbridge, Pengam, Penmaen or Pontllanfraith.
  • You work and earn the equivalent of at least 16 hours at national living wage or national minimum wage?
  • You are in receipt of specific caring benefits

How to apply

To apply you will need to complete an application form and return it to us. We will then check your eligibility and write to you to confirm if you are eligible. 

Further information

For more information about the scheme and find out what childcare is available please contact the Caerphilly Family Information Service on 01443 863232 or email or visit the Welsh Government website

Contact us