Apply for free school meals
Who can claim?
If you live in Caerphilly and receive any of the following, you can claim free school meals for your school-aged child
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit
Young people who receive Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
You can learn more about free school meals on the Welsh Assembly website.
Nursery – aged children
Nursery aged children who attend before and after lunch sessions at a local authority nursery school or nursery class may be eligible for free school meals. Please see ‘How to Claim’ section below.
How to claim
The quickest and easiest way is to apply online.
You can also apply by post using a printable application form. These forms are available from your school.
You will be notified in writing of the outcome of your claim within 10 working days.
If you are eligible for free school meals, the school will be notified that your child can have free school meals. Schools will ensure that this information is treated with the strictest confidence and handled sensitively.
What if my circumstances change?
You must tell us if:
- You start work and come off benefits
- Your benefit changes
If you do not tell us of any changes to your benefit this may mean you have to pay for any meals provided whilst you were not eligible.
You must complete a new application form if:
- You change address
- You have another child starting school for the first time
Do I need to re-apply every year?
If you are already claiming free school meals for your child you do not need to re-apply every year.
Even if your child moves to another school in the borough, the new school will be advised of your entitlement as soon as admission to the new school has been accepted.
Are you entitled but decided not to apply?
You may be entitled to free school meals for your child we encourage you to claim them. For every parent that claims free school meals, this provides additional funding to our schools.