01 April 2011>
Green pupils from across the Caerphilly county borough have been rewarded for helping to recycle thousands of copies of Yellow Pages directories.
In total, 50 local schools took part and pupils collected an impressive 2,597 directories for recycling. This year the prize money amounted to £2,350 and was shared amongst 19 winners in three categories based on school size.
Caerphilly County Borough Council and the Yellow Pages launched the popular annual recycling scheme back in December and the response from local schools has been very positive.
A special awards presentation took place this week at Penallta House to announce the winning schools that have collected the most Yellow Pages.
Derwendeg Primary School in Cefn Hengoed scooped the top award and £500 prize money. Head Teacher Lorraine Hunter was delighted, "I'd like to congratulate all the pupils, parents and staff at the school for this fantastic achievement. Derwendeg pride itself on being a sustainable school community and this is one of many schemes that we take part in to help improve our living environment."
Cllr Lyn Ackerman, CCBC Cabinet Member for the Environment, said, "I'd like to thank all the schools who took part in this year's competition for making it such a big success. The event teaches children important lessons about sustainability in a fun and engaging way and we hope they will catch the recycling bug and continue with their green efforts in the future."
The competition is a simple, educational and fun environmental campaign for schools, run by the council working with Yell, the publisher of the Yellow Pages.
For more details about the scheme please contact Cath Cuss at CCBC on 01495 235272.
The full list of winning CCBC schools are below. Caerphilly competed against other Local Authorities across the UK to win cash prizes.
Small Schools: (up to 120 pupils)
- Deri Primary, 3rd place, £150 prize money
- Cwm Glas Infants, 5th place, £100 prize money
Medium Schools: (121 – 230 pupils)
- Hendre Infants, 2nd place, £250 prize money
- Bedwas Junior, 4th place, £100 prize money
- Ysgol Gymraeg Cwm Gwyddon, 5th place, £100 prize money
- Bryn Primary, 7th place, £50 prize money
- Ysgol Bro Sannon, 7th place, £50 prize money
- Coed y Brain Primary, 9th place, £50 prize money
Large Schools: (231 pupils + )
- Derwendeg Primary, 1st place, £500 prize money
- St Gwladys Bargoed, 2nd place, £250 prize money
- Libanus Primary, 3rd place, £150 prize money
- Plas y Felin Primary, 4th place, £100 prize money
- Tynewydd Primary, 5th place, £100 prize money
- Rhiw Syr Dafydd Primary, 6th place, £100 prize money
- Newbridge School, 7th place, £50 prize money
- Ty Sign Primary School, 8th place, £50 prize money
- Cwmcarn Primary School, 9th place, £50 prize money
- Cefn Fforest Primary School, 10th place, £50 prize money
- Return to News