20 March 2009>
Caerphilly County Borough Council's Trading Standards department are urging residents to follow some simple advice to help prevent falling prey to bogus callers.
Trading Standards have received several reports in recent weeks where people, who are usually elderly or vulnerable, have been targeted by bogus callers or rogue traders. Although incidents of this nature are relatively infrequent, CCBC is keen to encourage residents to be aware of what to do should they find themselves in a similar situation.
Cabinet member for the environment, Cllr Lyn Ackerman said, "I very much welcome the opportunity to raise awareness of such an important issue as this.
Although reports of people being duped by bogus callers are relatively few and far between in our county borough, this does not alter the fact that when it does occur, it can be extremely worrying, particularly for our more vulnerable residents.
I would encourage people to take heed of the advice being given by Trading Standards, which will help to reduce the risk of falling prey to bogus callers."
Trading Standards offer the following advice to help beat the bogus caller:
- Stop and think before you open the door. Use your door bar and viewer.
- Never invite tradesmen or salesmen into your home.
- Ask officials for ID and close the door. Check it using the telephone directory, not the number on the card. A genuine official will not mind waiting.
- Never purchase goods and services on your doorstep unless you have consulted a friend or relative.
- Don't keep large sums of cash in your home or let anyone know that you have cash on the premises.
- If you are not interested, tell them so firmly and close the door.
For further information, or to report what you believe to be a bogus caller, please contact Trading Standards on 01495 235291 or Gwent Police on 01633 838111.
- Return to News