27 June 2011>
A primary school in Rhymney has become the first school in the Caerphilly county borough to achieve Fairtrade Status.
The pupils and staff at Ysgol y Lawnt have been working hard throughout the school year to incorporate Fairtrade into the school ethos and curriculum.
To achieve Fairtrade status they had to complete 5 goals, which were: -
- To set up a Fairtrade steering group
- Develop and adopt a Fairtrade policy
- Commit to use, promote and sell Fairtrade products
- Ensure the whole school learns about Fairtrade in at least three subjects in each of two year groups
- Promote and take action for Fairtrade at least once a term in the school and once a year in the community
Ysgol y Lawnt's achievements include using a wide range of Fairtrade products and promoting Fairtrade to parents and the local community. Fairtrade has been incorporated into the school curriculum and after school activities including maths, English, cookery club, coffee mornings and Fairtrade fortnight activities.
The pupils wowed parents and members of the local community with their delicious Fairtrade curry and cookies as well as raising awareness of Fairtrade to parents during their Fairtrade tea party.
The assessor's comments included "An excellent application, with clear evidence of commitment and activity throughout the school".
Contact the school on 01685 840285 for more information.
- Return to News