08 December 2009>
With the festive season fast approaching, Trading Standards together with the Safer Caerphilly Community Safety Partnership are urging partygoers to ensure that they use a licensed taxi to get home safely at the end of a night out.
Promotional materials are currently being distributed to pubs, clubs, restaurants, take aways and other late night venues throughout the county borough, which highlight the possible dangers of using an unlicensed taxi.
Cllr Lyn Ackerman said, "As tempting as it may be to get into the first taxi available at the end of a night out, I cannot stress enough how important it is to check that the taxi is fully licensed first.
There are a number of ways to check that the taxi you are getting into is licensed, and by dong so it means that residents and visitors to our county borough this festive season can enjoy themselves safe in the knowledge that they will get home safe and sound."
Only licensed taxi cabs:
- Have the correct insurance for hire or reward. Any other type will be invalid in the event of an accident, and they may not be covered for personal injury etc.
- Have been checked regularly for safety and compliance with the authorities' extra standards covering cleanliness, fire safety, access and first aid.
- Are driven by drivers who have been CRB checked.
- Display official licence badges.
- Use calibrated meters and also display a list of tariffs.
To report an unlicensed taxi, please contact Trading Standards on 01495 235 291.
- Return to News