Council calls on Cwmcarn to agree a way forward

    14 June 2013

    Cllr Rhiannon Passmore

    Caerphilly County Borough Council is urging Cwmcarn High School to agree a way forward as a matter of urgency so that asbestos removal works can commence at the site.

    The Acting Chief Executive, Nigel Barnett met the Governing Body last week (Thursday 6th June) to clearly outline options for progressing the works. The Governors met again on Tuesday 11th June without reaching a decision and they have now informed the council they intend to meet again on Monday 17th June.

    Nigel Barnett said, "I would like to assure the school community that we are ready to move quickly as soon as a decision is made, but we are becoming increasingly frustrated by the school's lack of progress and it now seems we must wait until next week for a decision to be made.

    Time is fast running out and I would urge the school leadership to take decisive action before we miss our window of opportunity to get the work done in time," he added.

    Cllr Rhianon Passmore, CCBC cabinet member for educations said, "Pupils, parents and staff are understandably very concerned about the delay. The Acting Chief Executive met the governors and gave clear assurances that the council would be able to deliver the works on time – as long as a decision was taken quickly as timescales are now critical.

    The education and wellbeing of the children is paramount, but unfortunately we are still awaiting a decision and time is running out if pupils are to return home to Cwmcarn for the start of the new term in September."

  • Return to Home