The name Maesycwmmer only came into use around 1840 - 1857.
Before this the area, which was largely farmlands, was known as Hengoed and Upper Bedwas.
Maesycwmmer takes its name from the first large house built there by the Reverend John Jenkins in 1826. Due to the built heritage the village holds, Maesycwmmer is designated as a Conservation Area.
The last train went over the Hengoed-Maesycwmmer Viaduct in 1964.
Take a look at the viaduct, built using stone and bricks from the nearby Trelyn Quarries. The viaduct is Grade II listed and formed part of the Newport, Abergavenny and Hengoed Railway. It stands 130 feet high and 284 yards long and has 16 arches.
An impressive artwork of a ring of coal trams situated at the entrance to the viaduct pays tribute to the viaduct’s industrial past. Underneath the viaduct is a Grade II listed Woollen Mill, which was built in 1750. Originally a corn mill and later converted to wool manufacturing.
Caerphilly County Borough has a wide range of accommodation for visitors including hotels, inns, B & Bs, guesthouses and self-catering cottages. For further information please go to the Visit Caerphilly website.
To find how to get to this village, click here. Supported by Google™ MapsUK.
|Industrial heritage museum or attraction||Church of historic or architectural interest||Toilets|
|Light refreshment||Shops||Bus station|
|Accommodation||Public house||Train station|
There are two distinct links within the village. The first link allows easy ramped access from the
cycle route, off the impressive viaduct, to the village centre and its facilities. The second link provides a more rural footpath link from the cycle route and connect the village with Fluer-de-Lys.
Use directional arrows to scrool the map, to reset position and scale, click the middle CIRCLE button.
To zoom in and out, drag the tab left or right.
Each symbol pops a "slide in" box, just move your mouse pointer on top of each symbol.