The village of Ynysddu got its name from Ynysddu Farm which was built by John Hodder Moggridge in 1804. In the late 1820’s he also built ‘The Ranks’. These were founded as a social experiment after Moggridge became alarmed at the dreadful living conditions of the poor. ‘The Ranks’
allowed a small number of workers to lease a plot of land to build a cottage and garden allotment. ‘The Ranks’ has long since disappeared but were situated near the Black Prince.
The famous Welsh Bard Islwyn was born in Ynsyddu in 1832.
Nearby is the spectacular scenery of the Sirhowy Valley Country Park where Ynys Hywel Farm is located. Ynys Hywel Farm is a working hill farm, owned and run by the Countryside and Landscape Service. Situated on 39 acres (16 hectares) the farm is home to Welsh Black and Belted Galloway cattle, Badger-faced sheep, Tamworth pigs and a variety of chickens and ducks.
Caerphilly County Borough has a wide range of accommodation for visitors including hotels, inns, B & Bs, guesthouses and self-catering cottages. For further information please go to the Visit Caerphilly website.
To find how to get to this village, click here. Supported by Google™ MapsUK.
|Light refreshments||Public houses||Shops|
|Post office||Bus station||Accommodation|
The National Cycleway is linked to Ynysddu to give direct access to the village and its amenities. There is also a ‘Loop’ that provides a safe route linking the village to Cwmfelinfach and the Sirhowy Valley Country Park.
Use directional arrows to scrool the map, to reset position and scale, click the middle CIRCLE button.
To zoom in and out, drag the tab left or right.
Each symbol pops a "slide in" box, just move your mouse pointer on top of each symbol.