Moorland Road, Bargoed CF81 8PS.
Bargoed Park is the largest urban park in the county borough at over 19 hectares. Ornamental flowerbeds, including the ‘floral harp’ extend across the lawns at the front of the park, whilst open grass areas and mature trees make the park a walker’s delight.
Sport is catered for by the athletics track and rugby pitch with its grandstand. The wrought iron memorial gates on Upper Wood Street were erected in 1952 and commemorate the Festival of Britain. The gates have been locked shut for many years and restoration plans are now in place to save these unique features. Once restored, the gates will provide improved pedestrian access to the front of the park, re-creating the grand design of the original entrance.
Recent additions to the park include a Multi Use Games Area and a Skateboard arena. The park is open daylight hours every day of the year
The earliest records for the Park date from 1905 and refer to an area of land comprising ‘’nineteen acres, one rood and three perches’’ which was leased from the Hanbury family for a Municipal Park by Gellgaer Parish Council for £25 rent per year.
A few years later, in 1929 the Parish Council were able to purchase the land and paid £550 to then owners, Pontypool Estate. At the time this was a substantial sum but at about £28 per acre, compared to current land values, nowadays it looks like a very good deal indeed.
In 1950 additional land to the north and south of the park was acquired by the then Gelligaer Urban District Council and in 1951 a further area of land to the North West of the park was purchased for the construction of the Athletics track and Grand stand, which still exist today.
The last piece of land was added in 1960 when a road alteration scheme slightly changed the park boundary along Park Drive. On this occasion the princely sum of £10 was invested to purchase an additional 980 square yards of grass verge that the new road now skirted.