Real Nappies are Cute, Cool and Comfy – why choose anything else?
More and more parents are making the switch to real nappies as they realise not only can they cut their families waste in half but they can also save themselves hundreds of pounds in the process.
There is a perception that real nappies are 'hard work', but they needn't be. With today's modern designs, washing machines and the use of flushable liners, using real nappies couldn't be easier. Many fasten with fabric fasteners or poppers and can be washed along with your baby's clothes, or if kept separate washed at 60°c (on average twice a week). There is no need to soak, or boil wash.
Did You Know?
- Each baby produces approximately 5,000 nappies in a 2 ½ year period. This is the equivalent of 156 black bags and weighs the same as an average family car – and costs parents between £700-£1,300.
- An estimated 200 million disposables are thrown away in Wales each year. This is 38,000 tonnes of unnecessary waste going to landfill – costing the Welsh tax payers around £2 million to dispose of – and set to rise.
- Once on a landfill site a disposable nappy will take around 300 years to decompose, the decaying paper pulp produces methane which is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO².
- Can be passed onto siblings and others
- Cost around £1 per week for home laundering – less if you use energy efficient washing machines and line dry.
- Do not cause nappy rash, or use chemicals that can over dry babies' skin.
- Are good for the baby's posture – by keeping hips apart at the right distance.
For impartial information and advice on real nappies please contact one of the following:
Real Nappies can be purchased second-hand for even more cost savings. For more information visit www.goreal.org.uk/finder.