The Regeneration and Environment Scrutiny Committee is responsible for monitoring the action taken by the council to implement the beacon projects and other objectives contained within the 'Regeneration' and 'Living Environment' themes of the Community Strategy.
For further details about the Community Strategy, visit our Community planning webpage.
Scrutiny Committee members
Each Scrutiny Committee is attended by at least one (often several) nominated Cabinet member together with a number of county borough councillors. Information about each committee member can be found using our Scrutiny Committee Members facility.
Scrutiny Committee Meetings
Each Scrutiny Committee meets on a 6 weekly cycle. For further details about future meetings go to Scrutiny Committee – meetings timetable page.
Responsibilities of the Directorate of the Environment
- Housing Strategy
- Private Sector Housing matters
- Public Sector Housing matters
- Housing Technical services
- Building Maintenance DLO
- Waste Strategy and Operations including refuse collection, disposal, street cleaning and public conveniences
- Pollution Control (including noise, litter and illicit tipping, air and water quality, contaminated land)
- Public Health (statutory nuisance and sewer/drains)
- Trading Standards Enforcement
- Health and Safety Enforcement of commercial premises
- Community Safety
- Pest Control, Dog Warden, Animal Trespassing Services
- Animal Health and Welfare Enforcement
- Burials, Cemeteries and Bereavement Services
- Planning - Countryside and Landscape Services
- Highways Maintenance
- Street Lighting
- Engineering Services
- Land Drainage
- Planning - Strategic Planning and Urban Renewal
- Planning - the proper operation of Development Services and Building Control (excluding scrutiny of individual applications to the council)
- Transportation Planning and Improvements
- Public Transport
- Land Reclamation
- Economic development and Objective One