The Education for Life Scrutiny Committee is responsible for monitoring the action taken by the council to implement the beacon projects and other objectives contained within the 'Education for Life' theme of the Community Strategy. Education for Life is one of the four themes that form the Community Strategy, which is a shared 15-year strategic vision for the county borough developed by the Council and its partners.
For further details about the Community Strategy, visit our Community planning webpage.
Scrutiny Committee members
Each Scrutiny Committee is attended by at least one (often several) nominated Cabinet member together with a number of county borough councillors. Information about each committee member, can be found using our Scrutiny Committee Members facility.
Scrutiny Committee Meetings
Each Scrutiny Committee meets on a 6 weekly cycle. For further details about future meetings go to Scrutiny Committee – meetings timetable page.
Responsibilities of the Directorate of Education and Leisure
- The discharge of the council's obligations as Local Education Authority under statute and regulation
- The preparation and scrutiny of statutory education, lifelong learning and leisure strategic plans and Wales Programme for Improvement performance plans
- Raising standards in schools, monitoring of schools' performance, curriculum advice and support and other activities set out in the LEA-Schools Code of Conduct including intervention where appropriate
- Local Management of Schools and Fair Funding
- Forward planning, for example, school places, home-school transport, school admissions and student awards
- Inclusion Services which involve Learning Support Services, educational psychology, education welfare, behavioural support and managing pupil exclusions
- Governor support and training
- Welsh Language Education
- Agreed RE Syllabus
- Joint Services including ESIS, the Learning Network (RISE) and the Gwent VI Service
- Partnership working through the Education for Life Strategic Partnership and the Children and Young Person's Framework Partnership, incorporating Early Years & Childcare, Young Persons Partnership, Caerphilly CCET and Caerphilly Learning Area Network
- National Grid for Learning
- Lifelong learning, leisure and community education
- Public libraries and Schools Library Service
- Music and Arts development and support
- Sports Development
- Securing grants, including New Opportunities Fund, Better Schools Fund, Big Lottery, Class Size and others as appropriate.
- School Meals (Client role)
- Parks and ground maintenance services