DHPs are additional payments towards rent. They are only paid to customers already getting housing benefit who need more help with their housing costs over and above their benefit award.
Caerphilly County Borough Council, like every other council, is given a fixed amount each year by the Government to pay DHPs.
What cannot be covered by a DHP?
DHPs cannot be given for the following:
- Service or support charges not covered by housing benefit
- Outstanding rent arrears
- Deductions from housing benefit due to any DWP benefit being sanctioned
- When your housing benefit payments are suspended
- Shortfalls caused by overpayment recovery
How to claim DHP
You can only apply for DHP if you have a current entitlement to housing benefit.
To apply for DHP you need to complete an application form. To request a form please call 01443 864099.
How does the council decide who gets DHP?
The following things are looked at when making a decision:
- Your total weekly income
- Your total weekly outgoings
- Whether you have any savings
- Whether anyone else in the household can help financially
- Whether you have any loans for debts still to pay
- Whether you could re-arrange any of your finances to help the situation
- Whether you or your family have any special health or disability problems
- Whether you have attempted to remedy the situation yourself
How much DHP can I get, how is it paid and for how long?
It depends on your circumstances because each case is looked at individually and the DHPs are paid for different periods of time.
Even if you get help, the amount awarded cannot be more than your total rent, less any amount for non-eligible charges.
If you are successful, DHPs are paid with your normal housing benefit.
What if I disagree with the decision about my application?
If you disagree with the decision about an application for DHP you can ask for us to look at the matter again. You will need to do this is writing within one month of the date of the decision letter stating clearly the reasons why you disagree.
You cannot appeal to the appeals service about a DHP decision.
What if my circumstances change?
If your circumstances change it is important that you tell us about it straight away by calling the benefits section on 01443 815588 or 01495 226622.
If you are already claiming DHP, this may mean that your claim needs to be altered and if you are not currently claiming DHP, your change of circumstances could mean that you now qualify for help.