Make sure you are getting all the benefits, grants and other financial help that is available to families with children.
Education financial support
A range of financial assistance is available to eligible students and parents of younger children of school age including:
- free school transport for those living the necessary distance from school,
- free school meals for those whose parents/guardians are in receipt of qualifying benefits,
- clothing grants for year 7 pupils who are entitled to free school meals and
- student grants for those in higher and further education.
Visit our Education financial support webpages for further details about eligibility and how to apply.
You may qualify for help towards the costs of childcare if the childcare you use is registered. The critera for claiming this help is that you must be claiming an element of the WTC (Working Tax Credit).
For more information please contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 3003900 or, visit the Tax Credits website.
Childcare costs are one of the biggest bugbears on the average family as parents try to balance the demands of looking after young children with the need to go out to work to pay the bills. But it is possible to save up to £1,195 per year on childcare costs via a voucher scheme that may be provided by your employer.
To find out if you are eligible and for further information on how the scheme works contact your employer or the Family Information Service on 01443 863232 or email email@example.com.
Welsh Water Assist
The Welsh Water Assist tariff exists to help low income families and individuals with relevant medical conditions by offering reduced water charges. You will need to meet specific criteria to qualify, these are:
- The supply is a household only supply.
- The bill payer or a member of the household is in receipt of a qualifying benefit or tax credit; AND
- Either 3 or more children, under the age of 19, are living in the household, for whom child benefit is claimed.
- Or someone in the household has a medical condition that requires significant additional use of water.
An information pack and application form provided by Dwr Cymru is available to download below:
Welsh Water Assist Information Pack and Application Form (PDF 187kb)
You can also view the video produced by Welsh Water.
Welsh Water – Water Assist Scheme video
If you are a council tenant call 01495 235600, if not call Welsh Water on 0800 052 0145 for further information.
Other useful contacts
- Child Benefit Enquiry Line offers tax-free payment that you can claim for your child, available to anyone who qualifies regardless of income or savings. Call 0845 302 1444.
- Caerphilly Family Information Service provides free, impartial information and guidance on finding and choosing suitable childcare; funded early years education; Child and Working Tax Credits and family support. Call 01443 863232.
What else you you like to see on this page? – If you feel we could add any information or links to organisations on this page that will make it more useful, please let us know using the box on the right on the page.