The standard working week for most staff is 37 hours but a flexible working hours scheme is in operation in parts of the council.
The council recognises that flexible working hours provides benefits to both itself and its employees and is a key mechanism in helping employees achieve a better work-life balance.
The council also offer a job sharing scheme and a full range of family friendly entitlements such as maternity and paternity leave, adoption leave and carers leave. Employees can submit requests to work flexibly to deal with caring responsibilities outside of work.
We offer employees generous annual leave entitlements in addition to the 9 statutory bank holidays per year. Your annual holiday allowance is calculated according to length of service.
Most staff have a basic annual leave entitlement of 24 days per year (pro rata for part-time staff). This rises to 28 days per year after 5 years continuous service. This may differ slightly for different groups such as teachers.
Commitment to staff learning and development
Caerphilly is committed to ensuring that employees have the right skills, knowledge and experience to carry out their roles and develop to fulfil their potential.
- All new employees take an on the job induction within the first 6 months of starting in the post.
- An in-house Corporate Learning and Development Programme is available to all employees offering a wide selection of courses.
- An annual Performance Development Review (PDR) provides an opportunity to discuss your job in depth with your manager and identify how your learning and development needs will be met.
The council has a sickness absence scheme and pays occupational sick pay as well as statutory sick pay.
In addition the council has an Occupational Health team which includes a physiotherapy service and access to 'Care First' for counselling support.
Local Government Pension Scheme
The Local Government Pension Scheme offers a contributory final salary pension. The council contributes to this scheme to provide a defined benefit pension, lump sum retiring allowance, death in service cover, spouses pension and ill health retirement provisions.
If you pay for childcare then the council offers a salary sacrifice scheme which enables employees to take part of their salary as vouchers which can then be used to pay for childcare. The vouchers are tax and NI free up to £55 per week giving a saving to the employee on tax and NI of between 9.4% and 11% per year
Worklife balance - key policies
- Home Working
- Career Break Scheme
- Adoption Leave Scheme
- Carers Leave Policy
- Flexible Working Hours Scheme
- Flexible Working Scheme
- Job Share Scheme (All posts will be open to job sharing unless otherwise determined)
- Leave of Absence Scheme
- Maternity Policy
- Parental Leave Scheme
- Paternity Leave Scheme
- Working arrangements- part-time working, shift /day swapping, term-time working
Other benefits include:
- Discounted gym membership at all leisure centres.
- Contributions to regular eye tests and the cost of spectacles as a result of DSE use.
- Salary Sacrifice Cycle Scheme.
- Car share scheme
- The council has a no smoking policy
- Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme
- Pool bikes - FREE lunchtime hire
Further information on all benefits will be provided on appointment.
Please email Corporate Recruitment Team or call 01443 866533.