The safest option to remove and dispose of asbestos waste from your home is to use a specialist contractor. However, it is accepted that either due to economical or operational reasons you may choose to remove it yourself.
For advice relating to the handling of asbestos waste, please contact the HSE Asbestos Helpline on 0845 3450055 or the Environment Agency Helpline on 08708 506506.
Household asbestos can be disposed of at the following civic amenity sites FREE of charge:
- Bowen Industrial Estate Aberbargoed
- Penallta Industrial Estate
- Full Moon Transfer Station Crosskeys
Please ensure that the asbestos has been double bagged and that you inform the site supervisor that the bags contain asbestos. You will then be shown which container to use.
We offer a collection service for asbestos from domestic properties within the county borough.
The cost of this service is £75.00 for up to 10 asbestos cement sheets, or equivalent. We will collect a maximum of 20 sheets or equivalent at a cost of £150.
This service includes the collection, the sealing of the sheets, and transportation to a temporary sealed storage skip prior to bulk disposal at a licensed hazardous landfill site.
Arranging a collection
To arrange a collection call Waste Strategy and Operations on 01443 866533. An advisor will take some details from you such as your name, address, contact details and the quantity of asbestos to be collected.
Payment can be made by debit or credit card during the call or by cash at any of our cash offices situated throughout the county borough. If paying by Credit Card a charge of 2% will be made in addition to the payment.
Once payment has been received the advisor will provide a date and time when the asbestos will be collected. This will be within 10 working days of receiving payment.
Please note the following:
- If during collection the amount of asbestos is more than the quantity paid for, it will not be collected.
- You will be required to leave the asbestos outside your property. We will not enter your property to collect it. When requesting the collection, you will be advised of the most suitable place to leave the asbestos depending on your property type.
- Refunds for cancellations can only be processed if received at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled collection.
- No concessions or exemptions are available.