We have a duty to keep your home in a good state of repair. This includes essential services such as your heating, lighting and plumbing. However, as a council tenant you also have certain repair responsibilities.
Both your and our responsibilities are set out in your tenancy agreement.
Repairs you are responsible for
In summary, you are responsible for:
- Keeping the property, including garages and outbuildings, in a good state of interior decoration, repair and cleanliness
- Keeping outside gullies clear and unblocked
- Keeping the garden, yard or forecourt, including hedges, which form part of the property in a cultivated and tidy condition
- Not planting or cutting down or damaging any trees or hedges without first obtaining our written consent
- Keeping the common part of flats in a clean and tidy condition and free from obstruction
- Not blocking any shared driveways or footpaths as to prevent emergency vehicles from getting to the property or any other reason
- Ensuring that you use approved fuel for any space heating appliance provided and that any chimney flues are swept annually
Repairs we are responsible for
If it is our responsibility to carry out a repair it is your responsibility to report it to us as soon as it arises.
To report a repair go to Housing repairs - how to report a repair.
If you are unsure who is responsible for the repair, your local housing office will be able to advise you.