Reporting a gas leak
If you are a council tenant and you discover a gas leak at your home you must:
- Firstly, contact TRANSCO on 0800 111 999
Transco will give you some emergency information, and also advise an engineer who will call to your home within one hour (this is usually within 30 minutes).
If the gas leak is on or before the gas meter, Transco will carry out the work immediately. Otherwise, the engineer will make your home safe by placing a cap on the outlet side of the gas meter and then let us know.
- Secondly, contact us and let us know. You can either contact your local housing office or call our out of hours service on 01443 875500.
Our heating contractors will call within 2 hours to repair the gas leak and re-establish the heating and hot water.
After you have reported the leak to both TRANSCO and us, you should carry out the following safety precautions:
- Turn off the gas supply at the emergency control valve if possible (the valve is/should be located next to the gas meter, the valve should be off when turned down from vertical to the horizontal position).
- Do not operate any electrical switches or any electrical appliances or operate the door bell
- Ventilate the rooms affected by the smell of gas, if need be all rooms, by opening the windows and front/back doors
- Do not use matches or naked flame
- Do not smoke
- Vacate the property and do not return until an engineer has given you permission to do so
If you require further information about the repairs service please contact your local housing office.