There are many ways Caerphilly Flying Start can help to support you in this important role as a parent.
Parenting programmes or courses
A range of parenting programmes are delivered by the Flying Start Health Team, Flying Start Family Support Workers and local partners. Our parenting programmes are delivered in small groups of parents in a community venue within your local or neighbouring community.
- Parent Nurturing Programme - This is a 10-week positive parenting programme that helps to support parents in developing self awareness and self esteem, appropriate expectations, empathy, and positive discipline.
- Incredible Years Baby - These are 6 sessions that are focussed on your baby's development and their attachment to their mum and dad.
- Incredible Years Toddler – This programme is for 8 weeks and focuses on play with your child and their next stage of development; the behaviours you might come across and how to support your child.
- Incredible Basic Parenting - This 16-week programme focuses on behaviour and uses praise and play to get the behaviours you want.
- Parentline Plus - There are several different courses from 1 session to 4 sessions covering all kinds of issues like new baby in the family, sorting our arguments in the family, getting on with your teenager, bringing up confident children, as well as ages and stages.
- Parents as First Teachers - This is a home-based programme that helps to identify the stage of development of your child and how to best support their skills development as a parent. This programme recognises the important role that parents have.
Flying Start Family Support Workers
Our experienced Family Support Workers provide 1:1 support in your home as well as in the community. Their role is to support you and your family with day-to-day management, help with life skills and provide a support network.
Flying Start groups and sessions
Caerphilly Flying Start works in partnership with many local organisations to help support you as parents. There are many ways Flying Start can help to support you and to meet the various needs of different communities from drop in groups, to more specific courses and programmes.
- Pop in and play sessions – These sessions are for children aged 0-3 years and their parents/carer. They are delivered within your local community each week and help you to help your child both at home and at the group. The sessions focus on developing children's communication, language and literacy skills through stimulating play activities. The sessions encourage positive play experiences and interactions between parents/carers and children.
Pop in and play timetable (PDF 18kb)
We work in partnership with other projects so some courses may be available to you if you live outside of Flying Start areas dependant on your circumstances. Contact Sal Prosser, Parenting Officer, more for details on 01443 863386.
Interested in attending a parenting programme?
If you are interested in attending a parenting programme or would like to find out more about family support please contact Sal on 01443 864853.
Other useful information
There are a variety of leaflets you can download and print off or you can phone Family Information Service for a copy.
There are also a variety of leaflets for parents and their finances on the DirectGov website.
Family Bridge Project
The Family Bridge Project is a programme of intensive support in the home for families who really need support in a time before they reach a crisis point. The team works across all Flying Start areas with Flying Start families. Their focus is to work intensively with families for 10–12 weeks. Through working in partnership with parents they will help to identify an informal support network within their family or community and assist parents to develop and improve their parenting capacity.
Anyone can refer to the Family Bridge Project, the family themselves, agencies or organisations working with a family, with many existing referrals coming from Health Visitors.
Family Bridge Project Referral Form (PDF 329kb)