This discount does not apply where the carer is either the spouse or partner of the person being cared for nor to a parent caring for a child under 18 years of age.
The carer can only be disregarded where his/her sole residence is the same as the person liable for council tax and he/she is providing care and/or support for another person(s) AND either Part 1 or Part 2 below apply.
Part 1 (ALL have to be fulfilled)
- He/she is employed by a charity or relevant body or is employed by the person receiving care, and was introduced by a relevant body.
- He/she is employed to provide care for at least 24 hours in every week.
- His/her remuneration does not exceed £44.00 per week.
- He/she resides in the premises, which are provided by the employer for the better performance of his/her duties under the employment.
You must provide a certification from your voluntary organisation that these conditions have been met.
- He/she is providing care to a person who is in receipt of:
(i) Higher rate Attendance Allowance
(ii) The highest rate of the care component of the Disability Living Allowance
(iii) An increase in Disablement Pension; OR
(iv) An increase in Constant Attendance Allowance; AND
- He/she is resident in the same dwelling as the person for whom care is provided
- He/she provides the care for at least 35 hours per week on average
- He/she is not a disqualified relative of the person being cared for
The application form must be completed by or on behalf of the person who is liable to pay council tax.
Remember, a single person discount (25%) can only be awarded where ONE person remains liable after others have been disregarded, for example, in a three adult household two have to qualify to be disregarded before a discount can be awarded.
How to apply
If you think you may qualify, call us on 01443 863002 or alternatively you can download the application form below:
Apply to be disregarded for discount purposes - Live in Carers (PDF 34kb).
Please complete the form in black ink and in block capitals and return it to us together with any supporting documentation to the address in the top right hand corner.
If your application is accepted, you will then be sent a revised payment schedule.
Remember, if your circumstances change and you are no longer entitled to a discount you MUST inform us straight away to avoid facing a penalty.