If you or someone living in your Council house is disabled you may qualify for assistance in providing adaptations and facilities to enable the disabled person to continue to live there.
In considering an application for assistance, our Adaptations Team must be satisfied that the proposed works are necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the disabled person and reasonable and practicable given the age, condition and location of the property.
Prior to approving an application, consideration will also be given as to whether it would be more appropriate to re-house the disabled person to accommodation more suited to their needs.
Possible adaptations may include:
- Giving easier access to the disabled person's home and to rooms and facilities within the home, such as ramps, stair lifts and bathroom facilities.
- Making the home safer for the disabled occupant
- Providing or improving heating systems to meet the need of a disabled person
- Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
- Providing a safe play area for a disabled child
How to apply
If you wish to apply for a disabled adaptation to your council home we will first need to assess your needs. This assessment will be carried out by an Occupational Therapist employed by Social Services. Following this assessment, they will recommend any works that they consider would be essential to meeting the disabled person's needs.
To request an adult needs assessment, go to our Assessment of need - adults pages.To request a children's assessment please call 0808 100 1727.
Cost of adaptations
Disabled adaptations for Council tenants are fully funded by the Housing Department.