There are two options available for over 60's to enjoy discounted train travel: -
- An Arriva Trains Wales Senior Rail Card offering reduced travel in the local area; OR
- A National Rail Senior Railcard for UK-wide travel.
Arriva Trains Wales Senior Rail Card
The Arriva Trains Wales Senior Rail Card offers a 50% discount on Off-Peak Day or Anytime Day Return fares (where no off peak fare exists) on the Valleys and Cardiff local routes network.
Men and Women over 60 years of age are entitled to an Arriva Trains Wales Senior Rail Card. You do not have to have a bus pass or be a resident of Wales to apply.
How to apply
- Pick up an application form from any staffed railway station.
- Fill in the details and return it to either a staffed railway station or post it to Arriva Trains Wales, Queen Street Booking Office, Queen Street Station, Cardiff CF10 2FY.
- You do not need a photograph but you will need to provide proof of age when making your application in person or by post.
How much does it cost?
There is a charge of £5 per pass. You can pay by cash or cheque at a staffed railway station or by cheque if posting. It is valid for one year.
How do I use my pass?
The holder of the pass must be in possession of a valid rail ticket. You should show your pass when buying rail tickets or when asked to do so by the train conductor or at ticket barriers.
Where can I use my pass?
The pass is valid for travel across the Valleys and Cardiff local routes network which includes the Rhymney Valley and Ebbw Valley Lines. It is also valid for travel on rail linc services where a ticket has been bought for that part of the journey.
What if I lose or damage my pass?
You will need to contact Arriva Trains Wales.
What else do I need to know?
The Arriva Trains Wales Senior Rail Card is managed by Arriva Trains Wales.
National Rail Senior Railcard
The National Rail Senior Railcard offers one third off standard and first class fares across the UK for a year. The discount also extends to advance fares – providing they're booked before you travel.
Men and Women over 60 years of age are entitled to an National Rail Senior Railcard. You do not have to have a bus pass or be a resident of the UK to apply.
How to apply
For further information, pick up an application form from any staffed railway station, telephone 08457 48 49 50 or you can apply online at www.senior-railcard.co.uk.