If you have a bulky household item to dispose of such as an old bed, furniture, or electrical/gas appliances, there are a number of services available to you.
The following services are FREE:
- The council now collect three piece suites and beds free of charge. To arrange collection call Waste Strategy and Operations on 01443 866533.
- Furniture or electrical items that are in reusable condition will be collected by the Community Furniture Enterprise free of charge. Please call 01685 846830 to arrange a collection.
- If you are replacing old for new, many companies will often take your old items away when they deliver the new one. This is often free or sometimes for a small charge and should be arranged with your supplier.
- You can also take the items along to any of our household waste recycling centres. You can bring a van onto the site but only if you are disposing of household waste. You may be asked to sign a disclaimer to confirm this. You can also use a trailer but it must not exceed 1.6m in length.
Council collection service
The council now collect three piece suites and beds free of charge.
The council will also collect other bulky household items such as furniture, electrical/gas appliances, bathroom suites and kitchen units but this is a charged service.
The cost of this service is as follows:
- £15 for collection of up to three items
- £20 for collection of four to six items
These charges cover vehicle, transport, collection and disposal costs.
If any additional items are required to be collected, these will need to be booked on 2 working days before your collection is due. If this is not done a further collection would need to be booked and an additional charge will be made.
This is with the exception of items that are charged seperately (see table below).
Items that are charged seperately
Some items are charged seperately because of their volume, weight or size as follows:
|Garden Shed (Max 6'x8', Dismantled)||£45.55|
|Greenhouse (Dismantled) 6'x8'||£45.55|
|Storage Heater (With Bricks)||£40.20|
|Storage Heater (Without Bricks)||£22.75|
For other items such as central heating systems, wood, guttering, garden rubble or building materials, you will be provided with a quotation.
If you have bulky garden waste to dispose of such as trees, branches, etc. visit the garden waste collection webpage.
|Collection of fridge/freezers|
From 2 April 2012, the council no longer provides a service for the collection of domestic fridges and freezers. If you have a fridge or freezer you wish to dispose of, you can contact the Community Furniture Enterprise on 01685 846830.
Arranging a collection
To arrange collection call Waste Strategy and Operations on 01443 866533. An advisor will take some details from you such as your name, address, contact details and a description of each item requiring collection.
If payment is required, this can be made by debit or credit card during the call or by cash at any of our cash offices situated throughout the county borough. If paying by Credit Card a charge of 2% will be made in addition to the payment.
Once payment has been received the advisor will provide a date and time when the items will be collected. This will normally be within 10 working days of receiving payment.
Please note the following:
- One item equates to a table, a chair, a cupboard etc.
- You will be required to leave the item(s) outside your property. We will not enter your property to collect the item(s). When requesting the collection, you will be advised of the most suitable place to leave the item(s) depending on your property type.
- We can only collect the items that were recorded when the request was made. Additional items will be left at the property.
- If your item(s) are not collected for any reason (such as inclement weather, vehicle breakdown etc.) we will attempt to contact you using the contact details provided to us when making the request. Every effort will be made to collect on the next working day.
- The minimum charge for this service is £15 even if you only need one item collected. The cost is designed to recover all manpower, vehicle and administration costs for collection together with disposal and landfill tax costs.
- Refunds for cancellations can only be processed if received more than two working days prior to the scheduled collection.
- No concessions or exemptions are available.