Regenerating towns and communities is a key part of the Council's plans to make Caerphilly County Borough a more attractive place to live, visit and do business.
The rural setting of the County Borough and the stunning natural valley landscapes provide an attractive backdrop for physical regeneration and a major opportunity for retail, recreation, tourism and leisure developments.
Regeneration encompasses a wide range of disciplines and policy agendas, from planning to economic development, from education and skills to worklessness, from enterprise to environmental sustainability.
Regeneration strategy - People, Business, Places (PDF 748kb)
Town centres are a meeting place for commercial, cultural and civic activities and provide a common identity and a focal point for surrounding communities. As such, many opportunities are to be found within town centres to make a positive impact for the benefit of businesses, visitors, residents and investors.
The focus on improving our town centres has been a catalyst for a wide range of regeneration activities which have helped kick-start the revitalisation of the county borough.
The Urban Renewal team has lead the delivery of development projects and public realm enhancements in the main town centres to improve the image and performance, create investment opportunities and to maximise the contribution to the local economy.
The team adopts a forward thinking community focused approach to physical and town centre regeneration, which is characterised by the following features:
- community driven action programmes
- high quality of design and materials
- innovative design
- partnership working
- strategy based
This approach has been successful in:
- attracting new investment
- creating attractive, vibrant town centre environments
- establishing strong community links and identities
- introducing innovative community led artwork
- strengthening retail performance
The team has been very successful in securing large amounts of external grant assistance, particularly from the European Union and Welsh Government.
Below are some of our current and past projects.
- Aberbargoed Village Centre Enhancements
- Bargoed Town Centre Regeneration
- Blackwood Town Centre Enhancements
- Bute Town Village Enhancements
- Caerphilly Town Centre Regeneration
- Nelson Village Centre Enhancements
- Newbridge Town Centre Regeneration
- Rhymney Town Centre Enhancements
- Ystrad Mynach Town Centre Enhancements
Many towns and villages in Caerphilly County Borough feature eye-catching and imaginative pieces of public artwork, including sculptures, mosaics, murals and other original art. Public art provides visual interest within the urban/rural environment and helps stimulate a sense of local pride. For more information go to our Public art web pages.