The Extra Care Housing Scheme supports you to live independently for as long as possible. The schemes are designed to meet the needs of older people who require some care and support. Care staff are based on site to support the needs of people who live there whilst giving you the security and privacy of your own home.
Most Extra Care Schemes compromise of self-contained homes with design features and support services available to enable self-care and independent living. Extra care housing is popular with people whose disabilities, frailty or health needs make ordinary housing unsuitable but who do not need or want to move into long term care in residential or nursing homes.
There are currently 3 schemes available in Caerphilly county borough:
Cefn Glas is located in the Highfields area of Blackwood and is managed by Charter Housing Association. Built in 2005 it has 42 self-contained 1 and 2 bed flats – 28 of which are Extra Care with onsite care staff and non-resident management. Built on 2 levels the scheme has lounge, restaurant, and laundry facilities as well as a garden. Regular social activities take place including craft classes, exercise classes, guided walks, tea dances and concerts.
Tredegar Court is located in Crosskeys, near Risca and is managed by Private Sector Housing. In the main building there are 25 one and two person self-contained flats with onsite care staff and non-resident management and a range of communal facilities. Adjacent to this building are a further 12 external flats. Facilities available include door entry system with video door camera, regular social activities, communal lounge and dining room, assisted bathing room and a guest suite for visiting friends/relatives.
Plas Hyfryd is in the Penrhos area of Caerphilly and is managed by United Welsh Housing Association. Due to open in 2010, it has 49 self-contained 1 and 2 bed flats with onsite care staff and non-resident management staff and a community alarm service. Facilities will include a lift to all floors, café, restaurant, shop, hairdressing salon, IT Suite, gym and library.
Am I eligible to apply for extra care?
To access the scheme you must:
- be 50+ years of age, unless exceptional circumstances exist, and be unable (or likely to become unable) to continue living independently in your current home.
- be willing to have a needs assessment by a social worker.
- be motivated to enjoy the benefits of having independent accommodation with appropriate support.
- be able to access all parts of the scheme, with appropriate support, if necessary.
- show that you would benefit from living in an environment that provides access to communal facilities and activities alongside the privacy of individual tenancies.
- not have nursing care needs beyond that which would be provided by the community nursing.
- be willing to be financially assessed, and able to pay the rent and service charges and support costs (with the assistance of housing benefit if applicable).
An allocations panel meets on a monthly basis to consider all new applications and offer tenancies on available units.