Sensory impairment - vision impaired

You do not need to be registered blind or partially sighted to be eligible for a needs assessment from us. We provide a specialist assessment, information and advice service to adults whose day-to-day life is affected by a diagnosed significant or total sight loss that is not correctable by wearing spectacles.

What sort of help might you get from sensory impairment service?

The service is provided by Rehabilitation Officers for Visual Impairment (ROVI) who are specialists in the field of visual impairment. They will talk to you about your eye sight and any problems you are experiencing and carry out a specialist assessment into your specific needs and your home environment.

The service is aimed at providing the necessary information and skills to support people with visual impairment that will increase their independence in their home environment and the community.

What sort of help might you get from the ROVI's?

  • Registration for blind / visual impairment
  • Consideration of a person's eye condition and how it affects every day living
  • Re-learning skills in daily living, for example, preparing meals
  • Indoor and outdoor mobility training
  • Communication skills training
  • Advice on services available from health, social services and other agencies
  • Advice on low vision aids, lighting and colour contrast
  • Advice about, and provision of, specialist equipment access to other services such as guide dogs, talking books
  • Referral to supporting people housing related support service

How can I become registered?

Registration is optional. If you do want to be registered, contact your local optician and ask to be referred to the consultant ophthalmologist at the eye clinic in your local hospital.

They will refer you to the sensory team who will contact you to advise you of the registration process and benefits to being registered.

What other help might you get from social services?

There are a range of services you may be entitled to, such as:

Losing your sight and your hearing?

Please view dual sensory impairment webpage for more information.

How do I access the service?

For further information or to make a referral to the sensory impairment services contact ASDIT on freephone 0808 100 2500 or email

Welsh Low Vision Scheme

Has your eyesight started to worsen? Do you find your glasses don't help as much as they used to?

You may benefit from The National Assembly Government funded, Welsh Low Vision Service.

Accredited optometrists located across Wales will undertake an assessment to determine if any low vision aids are available to help a person with low vision do the things they want. The appointment with the low vision practitioner is provided free of charge by the NHS and all the low vision aids are available on loan, and free of charge. The practitioners will also use their specialist knowledge to refer you to other services in your area. Visual impairment services in Caerphilly County Borough Council work in partnership with this service.

To find out who to refer to search for the low vision services in your area.

The assessing optician will be able to make a referral to the consultant ophthalmologist at the eye clinic in your local hospital, should you require it.

Who to contact

Was this page useful?

  Please comment:-
Please note that we will not reply directly to comments made here.