Pet shop licence
To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
We may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop. A fee, determined by the Local Authority, will be payable on application.
Conditions of licence
Pet Shops - Conditions of Licence (PDF 135kb)
Click here for a full list of licence fees
How to apply
You can now apply online.
Apply for a licence to keep a pet shop
Privacy notice - Applications for licences/registrations issued in relation to the keeping of animals (PDF)
Application evaluation process
We must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
If you have not heard from us within 28 days you can act as though your application has been granted. The start period runs from receipt of all documentation and payment of relevant fee.