Sex shops and cinema licence
To run a sex shop which is any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence.
However, you may apply to the local authority requesting them to waive the requirement of a licence.
- must be at least 18 years old
- must not be disqualified from holding a licence
- must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
- must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal
A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence
Conditions of licence
Sex Shops and Cinema - Conditions of Licence (PDF 44kb)
Sex Shops and Cinema - Policy Guidelines (PDF 1.4mb)
Sex Shops and Cinema - Policy Guidelines Appendix 1 and 2 (PDF 1.3mb)
Click here for a full list of licence fees
Application evaluation process
Applicants must supply the following: -
- a site plan (Scale 1:1250)
- a plan of the premises (Scale 1:50) indicating all means of ingress and egress
- drawings showing the front elevation of existing and proposed (Scale 1:50)
Applicants must give public notice of their application by placing a notice on the premises and by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper (see example below). A copy of the newspaper must be provided not more than 14 days from the date of application. A copy of the application must be sent to the Chief Officer of Police, Heddlu Gwent Police, 'C' Divisional Headquarters, Blackwood Road, Pontllanfraith, Blackwood NP12 2XA not later than 7 days after the date of application.
Sample Public Notice Advertisement (PDF 15kb)
You can apply online.
Apply for a licence for a sex establishment
It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 2 months please contact us.