New online application for school uniform grants
Posted on : 24 Jul 2020
A new online application process is being launched for learners in the Caerphilly county borough to access grants for school uniform and equipment.
Applications for this year’s Pupil Development Grant will be administered centrally by Caerphilly County Borough Council and not by individual schools. The online application is due to launch on Monday 27th July and can be found on the council’s website.
The council assures families that applications and payments will be ongoing throughout the summer holiday period, into September and onwards. If items have already been purchased, applications can still be made, and payments issued retrospectively.
Pupils Development Grants offer £125 for eligible families to buy school uniform, equipment, sports kit and kit for activities for children outside of school. Learners eligible for free school meals can apply for this grant if they are:
- Entering reception class or year 3 in primary school
- Entering year 7 or year 10 in secondary school
- Aged 4, 7, 11 or 14 in special schools, special needs resource bases or pupil referral units
- For Year 7 learners the grant is £200, recognising the increased costs associated with starting secondary school
The funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age, irrespective of whether they are entitled to free school meals. Applications for looked after children need to be made to the local authority in which the pupil attends school.
Pupil Development Grants can be used to purchase the following:
- School uniform, including coats and shoes
- School sports kit including footwear
- Uniform for wider activities, for example sports, scouts and guides
- School equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as waterproofs for outdoor learning
To apply for a Pupil Development Grant or for more information visit www.caerphilly.gov.uk/Services/Schools-and-learning/Travel,-grants-and-funding/Pupil-Development-Grant-(PDG)-Access