Sporting volunteers celebrated at annual awards
Posted on : 20 Nov 2018
Jansan Wear Ltd Club of the Year – Blackwood Cricket Club. Phot0 credit - A&L Photography.
Sporting volunteers from across Caerphilly county borough have been recognised for their contribution to grassroots sport at the annual Sport Caerphilly Sports Awards.
Over 350 people from across Caerphilly county borough came together at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel and Spa on Friday (16th November) to celebrate the valuable contribution that volunteers make to community and grassroots sport.
The awards acknowledged the endeavour, innovation and commitment of those who have helped to make more people, more active, more often and hooked on sport.
Each award category was sponsored by a local business, and the winners were:
- AJM Embroidery Young Volunteer of the Year – Alice Corden. Alice commits a large amount of her time volunteering at Bedwas Gymnastics Club, as well as with school dance productions and competitions. Between gymnastics and dance, Alice has achieved over 350 hours of volunteering.
- Islwyn Gymnastics Club Over 18s Volunteer of the Year – Luke Richards. Luke has volunteered by Cwmcarn Boxing Club for the past two years. During this time he has successfully implemented a clear pathway from junior to senior level, and has also developed women and girls sessions. He has volunteered over 400 hours of his time to date.
- Leisure Lifestyle Inclusive Coach of the Year – Ceri Hooper. Ceri is the Chair of Valleys Daffodils. A very committed individual, she ensures children with additional needs are offered as many opportunities to be physically active as possible.
- Team Rees Community Coach of the Year – Jonathan Morgan. Jonathan is highly respected for the work he has done and continues to do at Caerphilly Tennis Club. With the support and help of other staff at the club, he has increased membership and participation in tennis. He is a committed and selfless coach and has volunteered over 1000 hours to tennis.
- Jansan Wear Ltd Club of the Year – Blackwood CC. Blackwood Town CC is a community hub which is run voluntarily by its members. The club prides itself on catering for junior, men’s and women’s cricket, and the club is going from strength to strength.
Six volunteers were also recognised with the Brand Sixty Eight Lifetime Achievement to Sport award, which recognises their dedication to sport in their community over a prolonged period. The winners were:
- Jeffery Greenhouse – Founder of Islwyn Gymnastics Club
- Tony Powell – BTM Football Club
- Sian Boyles – Caerphilly County Swim Squad
- Gary Butcher – Cwmcarn Boxing Club
- Janet Stephens – Janet Stephens Theatre Dance School
- Ivor Jones – Caerphilly Castle Ladies FC
This year also saw the awarding of the first Sports Personality of the Year, sponsored by Go Air Trampoline Parks. Following a public vote which saw over 1,200 votes cast, Olympic boxer Lauren Price from Gelligaer picked up the prestigious accolade.
Before reaching 16, Lauren was a four-time World Champion, a six-time European champion international kick-boxer and also won eight British titles. Lauren also won over 50 caps representing Wales at football before swapping her boots for boxing. Lauren’s most recent achievement is winning Commonwealth Gold in the Women’s 75kg division at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in Australia.
Cllr Nigel George, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhood Services said, “Volunteers and coaches play a vital role in community sport right across Caerphilly county borough, bringing their time, energy and commitment to supporting many clubs and competitions, week in, week out.
The Sport Caerphilly Sport Awards provide an excellent opportunity for us to acknowledge and give thanks for this work – thank you and well done to everyone involved”.
For more information on Sport Caerphilly’s work across Caerphilly county borough, please visit https://your.caerphilly.gov.uk/sportcaerphilly.
A link to the photos taken on the evening can be found at https://aandlphotography.shootproof.com/gallery/8048315/