Fostering by family and friends

If social services are involved in a child's life, and that child is subsequently removed from their parents care, they are often placed with foster carers. However we endevour to keep a child within his/her extended family network or even with close family friends wherever possible.

If you are aware of a child that is involved with social services, and wish to be considered as a carer for that child and you don't know who the child's social worker is, you will need to contact our Contact and Referral Team. They will be able to advise you of who the social worker is. You will then need to speak to that social worker.

If social services are not involved with the child in question and you are a close friend of the family who feels you could offer the family support by caring for the child for a period of time, then this may be classed as a private fostering arrangement.

For further information, please download our Family and friends - becoming a foster carer leaflet

Alternatively please contact our Fostering team

Contact us