Parenting groups and support
There are many ways Caerphilly Flying Start can help to support you in this important role as a parent.
Our experienced Family Support Workers provide 1:1 support in your home as well as in the community. Their role is to support you and your family with day-to-day management, help with life skills and provide a support network.
Parenting programmes or courses
A range of parenting programmes are delivered by the Flying Start Health Team, Flying Start Family Support Workers and local partners. Our parenting programmes are delivered in small groups of parents in a community venue within your local or neighbouring community. Some of the programmes we deliver include:
- Solihull Approach Ante Natal Programme - This is a 5 week programme focusing on the information that mothers and families want about pregnancy and birth with preparation for making a relationship with the baby from the womb to birth and beyond.
- Solihull Approach Postnatal Programme: ‘Understanding your baby’ - This is an 8 week programme focusing on your baby’s development and their attachment to their parents.
- Solihull Approach Parenting Programme: ‘Understanding your child’s behaviour’ - This is a 10 week programme which explores issues such as tuning into children, exploring feelings, parenting styles, communication –what is being communicated through behaviour, sleep patterns, and behavioural difficulties.
- Parent Nurturing Programme - This is a 10-week positive parenting programme that helps to support parents in developing self awareness and self esteem, appropriate expectations, empathy, and positive discipline.
- Family Lives - There are several different courses from 1 session to 4 sessions covering all kinds of issues like new baby in the family, sorting our arguments in the family, getting on with your teenager, bringing up confident children, as well as ages and stages.
- Parents as First Teachers - This is a home-based programme that helps to identify the stage of development of your child and how to best support their skills development as a parent. This programme recognises the important role that parents have.
- STEPS - An 11 week programme that will increase confidence, self-esteem and setting goals to make changes you want in your life
The Tiny Talkers groups are available for children aged 6 months – 2 years and are delivered throughout your local community each week. The group helps children become Tiny Walkers by singing together, exploring messy play, enjoying stories, sharing ideas and making new friends.
For further information please contact the Early Language Team at GAVO on 02921 321511 / 07483128090.
The Parent Network
We work closely with The Parent Network who are set up by parents for parents and give parents the opportunity to learn new skills, gain volunteering experience and meet other parents. The groups also get involved in the development and delivery of the Flying Start Programme helping to shape the projects through workshops, discussions and consultations. Parents are also encouraged to have a voice in the development of other local services and strategies that may affect their lives.
To find out more about The Parent Network or where your local Forum is please contact The Parent Network on 01443 875444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in attending a parenting programme or would like to find out more about what family support we can offer you please contact the Flying Start Family Support Teamon 01443 864881 or email@example.com.