Report a child at risk

If you are unsure that a child may be suffering but are worried, or if you are concerned that a child has suffered harm, neglect or abuse, please let us know straight away by contacting our Contact and Referral Team.

In an emergency outside normal office hours, you can contact our Emergency Duty Team or the Police by dialling 999.

What will happen if I report concerns?

When you report that a child may be at risk enquiries will take place that will follow the All Wales Child Protection Procedures, which may result in a formal investigation and assessment. This may involve several agencies such as the police, health or education.

Where necessary, immediate action will be taken to ensure the child or young person is protected and safe from harm. You will be offered support and advice to help you think about what actions you can take to ensure the child’s safety.

Anything you say will be treated sensitively, but other people may have to be told to help investigate the concern.

South East Wales Safeguarding Children Board (SEWSCB)

Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children requires effective coordination in every local area. For this reason, the Children Act 2004 required each Local Authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB).

LSCBs are the key statutory mechanism for agreeing how the relevant organisations in each local area will cooperate to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, and for ensuring the effectiveness of what they do.

From April 1st, 2013, the South East Wales Safeguarding Children Board (SEWSCB) has replaced the five former Local Safeguarding Children Boards in Newport, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly.

The SEWSCB has the lead strategic role in ensuring that children and young people in the South East Wales region are protected from abuse, neglect and exploitation and discrimination and live in an environment that promotes their well-being and life chances.

If you would like to find out more about the SEWSCB, how it works, or to make a comment, please visit

Contact us