In accordance with the Surveillance Camera Commissioner Code of Practice (June 2013) the following information is available.
- The CCTV system is operated in accordance with the Scheme Objectives and under guidance made by the Information Commissioners Office, and the Office of the Surveillance Camera Commissioner. Relevant legislative controls can be found within the Data Protection Act 2018, General Data Protection Regulations 2016, the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, the Private Security Industry Act 2001 and the Protection of Freedom Act 2012
- The Public Open Space system is considered to be proportionate and necessary for the locations in which cameras are situated. The extent of the system is subject to annual review to ensure compliance with the scheme objectives and the European Convention on Human Rights, including an assessment of continuing need
- The system does not employ audio recordings, high definition cameras, facial recognition software or automatic number plate recognition software
- The system, and procedures used in its operation, are accredited to National Security Inspectorate Standards for Management and Operation of a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Scheme and the Control Room has a Certificate of Compliance from the Surveillance Camera Commissioner for operation of CCTV in accordance with the SCC’s 12 guiding principles in accordance with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
- Access to the Control Room is restricted to Security Industry Association Licensed operators, senior management and specialist contractors. Visits by organised groups with and interest in crime and disorder are welcomed, by prior appointment
- Caerphilly County Borough Council acts as Data Controller for the system. The Assistant Community Safety Officer (Control Room) acts as monitoring officer. All requests for images, other than Gwent Police requests, are reviewed by the Scheme Manager under strict controls.
CCTV Policy 2021 (PDF)
All cameras are clearly signed to indicate that images are being recorded for the purposes of crime prevention and community safety.
Should you need to contact us for further information call us on 01443 873770.
Should you wish to make a complaint about the Public Open Space CCTV system please go our ‘Complaints’ section.
Should you wish to make a complaint about Data protection issues, please go to our Data Protection and Freedom of Information Section.