Vans and trailers

From 1 October 2014 there are new arrangements in place if you wish to use a van or trailer to deposit waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).

Resident permits

Small and medium-sized vans such as 'transit' size 3,499kg and below and small trailers (less than 1.8m in length) carrying household waste will be allowed to deposit household waste  free of charge, but you will first need to collect a 'tipping permit' from one of our  cash offices or customer service centres before visting the site.

Large vans 3,500kg and above such as Luton vans, tippers and trailers greater than 1.8m in length, will no longer be able to access these sites.

Our sites can only be used by residents of Caerphilly county borough. When obtaining your permit, you will need to provide proof of residency and the vehicle registration document (V5).

The permit will be single use and must be handed in at the site. You will be entitled to up to six free van permits in a 12-month period. The six permits apply to both the address and the vehicle. Cars towing a trailer will require 1 permit and vans towing a trailer will require 2 permits.  

If you intend to borrow a van to dispose of household waste you must provide:

  • a letter of authorisation from the registered keeper
  • proof of residency
  • the V5 document
  • contact details of the registered keeper

You must also ensure that you are suitably insured to drive the vehicle.

To use the sites with a hired vehicle you must also provide the hire agreement when requesting a permit. If you wish to deposit waste on behalf of another you must provide the V5 document of the vehicle in addition to the address of where the waste has been generated and provide proof of residency of the address where the waste is generated. 

You will need to obtain your permit at least 24 hours in advance of using it but no more than two weeks in advance.

Download the information leaflet for vans and trailers (PDF)

What is household waste?

Household waste is defined as waste from your household and garden that has NOT come from any construction, demolition, repairs or alteration to your household. Examples of household waste include furniture, carpets, garden waste, general refuse, and electrical items. 

Commercial waste

Depositing of commercial or trade waste is strictly prohibited at all six sites. If the waste is from a business or generated from commercial activities, you have a legal duty to ensure it is disposed of through an appropriately licensed facility. Commercial waste contracts are available from us or other companies.

Construction and demolition waste (including hazardous)

There is a charge for vans and trailers delivering construction, demolition and hazardous waste to Household Waste Recycling Centres such as soil, stones, windows, doors, bathroom suites, fitted kitchens for example.

Charges are as follows

  • £35.70 for a small van (up to 2,200kg and trailers less than 1.8m long)
  • £71.40 for medium vans (2,201kg – 3,499kg).

Large vans (3,500kg and above such as Luton vans, tippers and trailers which are greater than 1.8m in length) will no longer be able to access these sites.

There is no limit to the number of times a permit can be purchased.

Limitations for hazardous materials

Permits for Hazardous waste must be purchased (prices above) but you must tell us about the materials and make sure you properly separate hazardous substances from other waste. The limitations for hazardous materials are 10 car tyres,six bags of plasterboard, six bags or sheets of asbestos (double bagged in 1000 gauge polythene or double wrapped in 1000 gauge polythene), 10 tins of paint or three gas bottles.

Hazardous materials are accepted at Penallta, Full Moon (Crosskeys), Trehir and Aberbargoed. Some materials are not accepted at any site such as petrol, diesel, toxic and radioactive waste, explosives, for example. Please click here for the full list of waste acceptance criteria.

Permit time slots

There are designated days and time slots to visit our sites in vans or trailers as shown below. You will be asked your preference when obtaining the permit.

  • Rhymney - Monday 2pm to 4pm and Thursday 10am to 12noon
  • Aberbargoed - Wednesday 2pm to 4pm and Friday 10am to 12noon
  • Penallta - Tuesday 2pm to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 12noon
  • Penmaen - Wednesday 10am to 12noon and Thursday 2pm to 4pm
  • Trehir - Tuesday 10am to 12noon and Friday 2pm to 4pm
  • Full Moon (Crosskeys) – Monday 10am to 12noon and Saturday 2pm to 4pm 

Permits must be used at the selected site on the date and time stated on the permit. If you attend at any other time, date or site or your permit has expired, you will be refused entry. If you need to change any of these details, you must contact first for approval.

For further clarification please see our frequently asked questions (PDF).