Permitted developments

Some work does not require planning permission. Guidance on rules that relate to permitted development are on the Planning Portal.

You should also note that we may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. For this reason, you are advised to submit an application for a lawful development certificate to establish whether planning permission is needed for the proposed work.

If your plans do not fall under permitted development you will need to find out more about what permissions, consents and approvals you need.

Lawful development certificate

For peace of mind you may choose to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but is proof that your household building work is lawful.

Further information about lawful development certificates and how to make an application is available on the Planning Portal.

Community Infrastructure Levy liability

In rare cases, 'permitted development' may be of sufficient scale to be liable to pay CIL. You must serve a notice of chargeable development to us before the development starts. If the project is liable for CIL, the charge is then calculated and applied as though planning permission had been issued. Go to Community Infrastructure Levy for details.

Contact us