Public rights of way

Public Rights of Way are open to everyone. They could be roads, pathways or lanes and they can run through towns, countryside areas or private properties.  

You have the right to walk along these public rights of way. Some of them are also open for horse riders, bikers or motorists.

There are three types of public rights of way: 

  • Public rights of way: open to walkers only 
  • Public bridle-path: for walkers, horse riders and bikers 
  • Public byway: for walkers, horse riders, bikers and motor vehicles, depending on the nature of the road.  

If you would like to discover if a path is a public rights of way, phone us on 01495 235092 or send an email to

You can also look on the ‘Definitive Map’, which is the official legal record of the public rights of way. You can inspect the map, during office hours, in the Pontllan-fraith council offices. 

Inform about a problem regarding the public rights of way 

Let us know about any problems with the public rights of way, including problems regarding the following: 

  • signs
  • animals
  • barriers
  • vegetation that has overgrown 
  • a case of abusing the path 
  • a case of ploughing or growing crops
  • path surface
  • drains, gates, stiles and handrails​

Alternatively, you can contact the customer services team in the highways department.

Contact us