21st Century Schools Programme Achievements
Here in Caerphilly we have bold ambitions to provide every learner with the best life chances and we are committed to doing this through the provision of high quality teaching, learning and leadership across our impressive 21st Century school settings.
The Council has listed Improving education opportunities for all as the first of its Wellbeing Objectives and has committed to an ambitious 21st century schools investment programme.
Band A of the 21st century school programme has ended with 3 new schools built and 3 schools improved.
Idris Davies School 3-18
The brand new development which is located on the site of Rhymney Comprehensive has created the areas first 3-18 provision, named ‘Idris Davies’ – after the famous Welsh poet who was born in Rhymney in 1905.
The new school development has been built on land within the existing Rhymney Comprehensive School site near Abertysswg. A state-of-the-art, single storey development consisting of a Primary School, Nursery and a Flying Start unit.
Idris Davies School 3 – 18 was officially opened by the First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones on Thursday 19th of April 2018 during a special opening ceremony.
The state-of-the-art facility boasts classrooms fitted with the latest technology, an amphitheatre, three ponds – including a jetty for pond dipping, vegetable allotments, a 3G pitch, rugby and football pitches and a learning street in the primary phase that includes a kitchen, IT facilities and library.
Islwyn High School
The 3 storey Islwyn High School development is located on the former Oakdale colliery site.
The 1000 pupil school, plus 50 pupil special resource base, was completed by contractor Willmott Dixon at end April 2017 and comprises a range modern teaching spaces. The school and community also benefit from a 3G pitch, 200 metre athletics track and multi-use games area as well as outdoor learning spaces and a small amphitheatre.
This £20 million development created a replacement YGG Caerffili Primary school, a 900 place secondary for Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni and upgraded outdoor spaces to include a new 3G pitch, grass pitch and multi use areas.
The scheme has been supplemented by the remodelling of the former main building of YGG Caerffili to create a 0-3 pre school Welsh medium facility.
The development was undertaken in 4 phases, commencing in September 2013 and completed October 2016.
Blackwood Comprehensive School refurbishment and 3G pitch
Newbridge School extension and Cwmcarn High School demolition
Trinity Fields School
- Installation of new “through room” hoist systems within classrooms to go directly from classes into bathroom areas
- Adaptation of toilet facilities, making them more accessible
- Upgrade withdrawal rooms to create safe and welcoming environments, as well as the provision of natural lighting Improvement and relocation of pupil kitchen area
- Improvement and relocation of pupil kitchen area
- Creation of a home living environment to increase the independent living skills of pupils
- Creation of a new ball pit area
- Hydrotherapy pool improvement and adaptation to increase the accessibility of the provision for pupils and the wider community
- Increase in storage facilities Improvements to outdoor learning area
- Improvements to outdoor learning area
- Upgrade of I.T. facilities
- Improved ventilation within the school