21st Century Schools Programme - The Vision for Caerphilly
Caerphilly County Borough Council has embarked upon an exciting but challenging journey of improvement and change.
21st Century Schools Programme
The Welsh Government (WG) 21st Century Schools programme 2014‐2019 has resulted in an investment of £56.5m in education within the county borough. This has been funded 50% by WG and 50% by the Authority. There were 5 projects identified as part of the programme.
The Authority has recently submitted to WG their bid in relation to the 21st Century schools Band B programme which will run from 2019 for a 7 year period and will focus on the improvement of the condition of school buildings and maximising community usage.
What are the benefits of the 21st Century Schools Programme?
Improve education opportunities for all
- Aim to reduce the impact of poverty within early years.
- Raise standards of attainment.
- Reduce the impact of poverty on attainment for both vocational and non‐vocational qualifications to provide equality of opportunity.
- Help those who are not able to follow a traditional attainment path.
- Support learning that enables young and adult employment opportunities including a focus on ‘future skills’.
- Improve ‘Digital Skills’ for all ages.
- Improve the learning environment.
- Safeguard all children and young people in order to create a climate for learning, particularly for those most vulnerable.
Improve the learning environment
- Agree the 21st Century schools Band B programme which is planned to run from 2019.
- Ensure robust procedures are in place to ensure timely submission of Business Cases to Welsh Government.
- Ensure all requirements of the School Organisations Code are met when implementing the programme.
- Effectively manage the procurement and planning of projects to ensure value for money and best use of resources.
- Effectively manage our Capital resources to ensure it is targeted at areas of most need.
- Ensure the right schools are in the right places to meet current and future demand.
We will continue to raise school standards and improve the quality of the learning environment to create fit-for-purpose 21st century schools and give every child in Caerphilly the best possible start in life.