Buying a musical instrument
If your child is having music lessons at a school in a Caerphilly county borough, we can offer you the opportunity of buying an instrument without paying any Value Added Tax (VAT). This scheme is called the Musical Instrument Purchase Scheme (MIPS).
MIPS is made possible by an arrangement with Caerphilly Music Service, Cerphilly Procurement Services and HM Customs and Excise.
The eligibiity criteria are as follows: -
- The student must attend a Caerphilly county borough school
- The student must be receiving lessons in school
- The instrument must be appropriate for the student's needs
- The instrument must be portable – and used regularly for lessons in school
- The instrument must be handed over to the pupil / parent by Caerphilly Music Service
- The instrument must be charged at or below the Caerphilly Music Service ex VAT cost
If you are interested in the scheme, discuss this with your teacher. If your teacher thinks it's good for you to have your own instrument, ask your parents to contact the Caerphilly Music Service for further details.