Pupil Development Grant (PDG) - Access
Get £125 (£200 for pupils in year 7) to buy school uniform, equipment, sports kit and kit for activities outside of school for your child.
Welsh Government have announced some changes to claims for the 2020/2021 academic year.
- The deadline for applications has been extended to 30 June 2021. Final claims to be submitted by 18 June 2021.
- The eligibility criteria has been extended to include additional year groups. The grant is now available to Reception, Year 1, Year 3, Year 5, Year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
This funding is for pupils currently eligible for free school meals and does not extend to pupils who receive free school meals under the transitional protection arrangements.
If you have already claimed this grant for the 2020/2021 academic year, you cannot claim again. We will check records of previous claims to verify this.
The Funding is available to ALL looked after children of compulsory school age, irrespective of FSM entitlement. Applications for LAC pupils will need to be made to the Local Authority in which the pupil attends school.
The funding can be used to purchase:
- School uniform, including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for wider activities, for example sports, scouts and guides;
- School equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as waterproofs for outdoor learning.
- Laptops or tablets to assist with remote learning
Mobile phones are excluded from this funding.
If you have already purchased the items, you can still apply and receive the funds retrospectively.
How to apply
If your child/children are currently eligible for free school meals and he/she/they are currently in one of the new additional year groups (Years 1, 5, 8, 9,11) you will be contacted by the school your child attends. An application form will be sent either electronically or posted for completion. You will need to return the completed claim form to the school.
Please direct any queries in the first instance to the school your child is currently attending.
If your child / children are currently eligible for Free School Meals, and you have not claimed for academic year 2020/2021 for Reception, Years 3, 7 & 10 since 27 July 2020, please contact your child's school.
In relation to Looked After Children (LAC), we will contact eligible families under this criteria who haven’t already claimed.
Further information about this funding is available on the Welsh Government website.