Pupil Development Grant (PDG) - Access 2021/2022
Get £125 (except for year 7 which is £200) to buy school uniform, equipment, sports kit and kit for activities outside of school for your child.
Learners currently eligible for free school meals can apply for this grant if they are:
- entering reception, year 1, year 3 or year 5 in primary school in September 2021
- entering year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 in secondary school in September 2021
- aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 in special schools, special needs resource bases or pupil referral units (year groups as detailed above)
- For Year 7 learners the grant is £200, recognising the increased costs associated with starting secondary school.
This funding is for pupils currently eligible for free school meals and does not extend to pupils who receive free school meals under the transitional protection arrangements. If you have submitted an application for Free School Meals then you must await the decision before applying for the PDG Access grant.
If you believe you are eligible for Free Schools Meals and have not already submitted an application then please complete our online Free School Meal application form. You MUST await the outcome of this before applying for the PDG Access grant.
The Funding is available to ALL looked after children of compulsory school age, irrespective of FSM entitlement. Queries in relation to looked after children only please ring 01443 866614.
The funding can be used to purchase:
- School uniform, including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for wider activities, for example sports, scouts and guides;
- School equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as waterproofs for outdoor learning.
- Laptops or tablets to assist with remote learning. Welsh Government advise families to contact their child’s school/setting to discuss loaning equipment before purchasing.
Mobile phones are excluded from this funding.
If you have already purchased the items, you can still apply and receive the funds retrospectively.
Please note, this form will not work from within Internet Explorer. Please use a more modern browser such as Edge, Chrome or Safari
Telephone helpline numbers
Helpline numbers are available each day if you are unable to access the online application form or require assistance. Phone lines are open between:
- 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday
- 9am - 4.30pm Friday
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 07842320420
Further information about this funding is available on the Welsh Government website.