Report your concerns

If you are being abused or think someone else is being abused, you should tell someone. Don't assume that someone else will tell and don't worry if you think you might be wrong – it is still important for someone with experience and responsibility to look into it. It is the responsibility of social services to do this.

If you or someone you know is being abused and is in immediate danger, you need to do something straight away to stop them or others being hurt. You should ring 999 and tell the operator what is happening.

If you think a crime might have taken place, such as rape, assault or theft, please ring the police and be careful not to remove or destroy any evidence.

If you are worried about contacting the police you can always contact social services to talk things over first. If you feel nervous about talking to social services, you could ask someone to talk to us on your behalf. This could be a nurse, a carer, an advocate or a friend or relative you trust.

Wherever you live, whether it's a care home or your own home or whichever place you have visited and if you've experienced or witnessed abuse, you can ring social services.

Staff members who work with vulnerable adults may be worried about the consequences of reporting abuse. You must tell someone what is happening.

You do not have to say who you are, but this may make it more difficult for us to investigate and protect you or the person being abused.

What will happen if I report the abuse?

When abuse is reported, enquiries will take place that will follow the Wales Policies and Procedures for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults, and may result in a formal investigation. This may involve several agencies such as health services or the police. Action will then be taken to ensure you or the person being abused is protected.

You will be offered support and advice to help you to make any decisions and to enable you to take action to end the abuse and ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Anything you say will be treated sensitively, but other people may have to be told to help investigate the concern.


When an allegation is made, there will be information that we may need to share with others such as the police or people who monitor the quality of registered services. We take care to ensure that this information is only shared with those people involved in the process.

If you have concerns about a vulnerable adult or would like more information, please contact the Adult Services Duty and Information Team (ASDIT) 

Gwent Wide Adult Safeguarding Board

As of the 6th April 2016, the Gwent-wide Adult Safeguarding Board (GWASB) is a Statutory Board as set out in the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014. The Board was formed in 2011 covering the local authority areas of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen.

Together with other organisations, we have a shared responsibility to ensure that we actively prevent adults being abused and neglected and safeguard those who are at risk of abuse.

If you would like to find out more about the GWASB, how it works, or to make a comment, please visit

Contact us

Elsewhere on the web

Action on Elder Abuse Cymru