Day time opportunities for adults with a learning disability
Day Services provide a wide range daytime activities across the Caerphilly County Borough that include:
- Providing opportunities to establish and maintain friendships, socialise and access community activities and services.
- Community based services that encourages greater independence and offers opportunities to develop skills, abilities and knowledge to take more control of day to day living.
- Enable people to have access to both meaningful community experiences and safe and appropriately supported environments that will meet their health and social care needs, as well as providing respite for families and carers.
Day Services are committed to working in a person centred way by ensuring that the individuals they support are at the centre of everything they do by:
- Recognising that each individual has their own identity, needs, wishes, choices, beliefs and values.
- Recognising the value of life experiences by understanding the importance of each individual’s past, their present-day experience and their hopes for the future.
- Understanding what is important to each individual.
- Increasing the well-being, identity and sense of belonging of each individual.
- Understanding and demonstrating the ability to connect with individuals by recognising and responding to their feelings and emotions.
- Involving individuals and their carers’ in all aspects of their service that includes the planning, development and the way in which services are delivered.
Community Resource Bases are located across the borough:
A wide range of activities are offered based upon the personal interests and assessed needs of the individuals who access the service. The provision of fully equipped showering facilities and specialist equipment ensure personal care support requirements are met in a safe and private environment. Services actively develop and maintain community relationships and networks that further assist in offering new and different opportunities.
The Community Support Team supports individuals across Caerphilly on a sessional basis within their local communities. Activities are based on an individual’s desired personal outcomes that includes employment opportunities, travel training, vocational training and independent living skills. The service also offers individuals the opportunity to volunteer with community groups e.g. Sustrans.
Windy Ridge is located in Pontllanfraith and offers individuals the opportunity to be involved in a range of horticultural activities and caring for the environment. The individuals who attend Windy Ridge are involved in taking part in horticulture shows and producing items for themed events during the year e.g. dressed pumpkins for Halloween and Christmas wreaths.
The Links service is located in Wyllie and provides a community based service to people who have Autism and behaviours that may challenge others. Staff members are trained in Positive Behaviour Management (PBM) to meet the specific support needs of individuals who have a prescription of care.
There are several services co-located on Woodfieldside Business Park:
- Pont Woodcraft is a fully equipped workshop that provides daytime opportunities for individuals who have an interest in woodwork.
- Sirhowy Craft provides opportunities for individuals to be involved in a wide range of craft and ceramic activities.
- Blackberry Catering supports individuals in a fully equipped kitchen. The people who access Blackberry Catering are required to be in receipt of a Basic Food Hygiene certificate to ensure that Food Hygiene legislative requirements are met. If requested to do so, the Community Support Team supports individuals to undertake a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate. Blackberry Catering provides a buffet service and offers a range of cakes (including celebration/themed) that can be made to order.
The people who attend the above services are fully involved in all aspects of the development and production of items and particularly value their involvement in the promotion and selling of items.
All day services are open Monday to Friday.
Individuals can choose to bring their own packed lunches, purchase food from the local community or be supported to use kitchen facilities to prepare their own lunch time meal. Cooked meals are available at lunch time in Ystrad Mynach and Brooklands Community Resource that includes the provision of meals for individuals who have specific dietary requirements.
The Volunteer Service
The Volunteer Service provides opportunities for people with a learning disability to take an active part in their community usually through leisure activities or spending time with each other at home. Volunteers are matched with a person(s) who have similar interests and they meet on a regular basis where friendships are made.
Who can receive a service?
A person is eligible to receive a service from Community Support Services if they meet the following criteria:
- An assessment of need has been undertaken by Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Learning Disability Team.
- The person lives within the County Borough of Caerphilly.
- The person is a resident of Caerphilly County Borough and has an assessment of need from their local Authority which establishes their entitlement to services.
For more information about day time opportunities, please contact the Information, Advice and Assitance Team
Adult Social Services Assisted Transport Policy
Adult Social Services Assisted Transport is a transport service provided to people over the age of 18, to access ‘community activities’ within Caerphilly borough. A community activity is a care and support service that an individual attends away from their home, which is provided by Adult Social Services as part of a care and support plan.
Assisted Transport Policy
Assisted Transport Policy Easy Read