Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle licence
All vehicles up to 8 passenger seats used for the purpose of hire and reward must first be licensed by the Council.
There are two vehicle types, Hackney Carriage (Taxi) and Private Hire.
Hackney carriage vehicles can be hailed at the roadside or from a taxi rank and do not need to be pre-booked. The Fare within the Borough is controlled via a taxi meter.
Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked for a pre-defined fare via a licensed operator, for whom the driver works. The fare is agreed in advance. It is an offence for the driver of a private hire vehicle to pick up a fare that has been hailed at the roadside.
The Authority has a vehicle specification / conditions of licence, Byelaws (Hackney Carriage vehicles only) which will determine what can be licensed in relation vehicle age and appearance. Applicants are encouraged to read and consider the council’s requirements in respect of vehicles.
- Vehicle specification
- Conditions of licence
- Byelaws (Hackney Carriage vehicles only)
- Vehicles must be under 5 years of age, from date of first registration when first licensed. Wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV) can be licensed up to 8 years of age from the date of first registration. Any vehicles that have been adapted / modified since manufacture are likely to require additional certification, often Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).
As part of the application process, applicants will be required to provide:
- Proof of Ownership (Bill of Sale) New Vehicles
- Vehicle Log Book (V5)
- MOT Certificate (* See testing arrangements)
- Insurance for Hire and Reward (Public or Private Hire)
- Meter Certificate (HC Vehicles only) (Link to current tariff of fares)
- LOLER Certificate (WAV, If applicable)
If you do not hold a HC/PHV Driver licence with this authority, a Basic DBS is required for each vehicle proprietor or director (if applicant is a Limited Company)
* Testing Arrangements - Applicants will be required upon application to submit a new MOT Certificate from an independent MOT Testing Station within Caerphilly County Borough. Please note that you should not have any business interest in the MOT station used.
Following the submission of an application you will be contacted by a Licensing Officer for the purposes of undertaking a compliance test at the council offices, Penallta House, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, CF82 7FN.
The Compliance Test will include a visual inspection of Taxi Meter/Roof Dome (HC only), Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Seat & Floor condition/cleanliness, Interior Trim Condition, Body Work and Paint Condition/Cleanliness, Door Locks & Windows, Luggage area secure, Spare Wheel & Jack/Brace, Interior Light, Signage or vehicle advertising, presence of vehicle licence plates.
For wheelchair accessible vehicles only, the vehicle must be presented in the layout to accommodate wheelchairs, the driver must demonstrate the tail lift and/or ramp and the wheelchair restraints and have an up to date LOLER Certificate.