Out of hours social services support
South East Wales Emergency Duty Team
Our normal hours of business are Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm and we are closed on bank holidays.
Social services provide an emergency service outside of normal office hours. This service deals only with emergency situations that cannot wait until the next working day.
Call 0800 3284432
Minicom 0800 5879963
When we can help
Please contact us if:
- a child or young person is in urgent need of protection from harm
- a parent, foster carer or child needs emergency help, advice or support
- a carer or vulnerable adult (those with mental health problems, physical or learning disabilities or older people) is in urgent need.
When we can't help
We cannot help if:
- the situation can wait until the next working day, without risk of harm
- it is a working day - you should contact the relevant social services department during office hours
- it is a medical emergency – you must phone your GP or an ambulance.
Who can use the service?
People living in the boroughs of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen who need emergency help from social services, whether they already receive our services or not.
Anyone who is calling on behalf of someone else, whether as a professional, relative, friend or carer.
When is the service available?
The out of hours emergency service operates whenever other social services offices are closed. The service can only be accessed by telephone or minicom during the following times:
- Monday to Thursday 5pm to 8.30am
- Friday 4.30pm until 8.30am the following Monday morning
- Bank holidays and weekends, 24 hours
Who are we?
The emergency service is provided by qualified and trained social workers and team managers. The emergency service works closely with the daytime services. All calls are logged and details you give to the emergency service are passed on to the appropriate daytime social work team the following day.
How will the service deal with my request?
The service prioritises requests on the basis of the information you give so it is important you give us as much information as you can.
Confidentiality is important to us. We only ever give information to people who need to know it to deal with the emergency situation. If we do not agree you need an emergency service, we will give you advice about where you can get help.