Social care benefits and grants

The following health and social care benefits are offered to citizens who qualify. These benefits are managed and paid by central government. For more information please use the links below.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need someone to help look after them because they are physically or mentally disabled. Find out if you are eligible and how to claim Attendance Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for. Find out if you are eligible and how to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance - sometimes referred to as DLA - is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults who need someone to help look after them, or have walking difficulties. Find out more about how you can claim Disability Living Allowance.

Disabled Facilities Grant

The Disabled Facilities grant can help towards the cost of adapting your home so you can live independently. A financial means test will be carried out to determine the amount you will be entitled to. Find out more about how you can claim a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance replaces Incapacity Benefit and Income Support that is paid because of an illness or disability for new claimants from 27 October 2008. If you are already receiving Incapacity Benefit, you will continue to get it as long as you are eligible. Find out more about Employment and Support Allowance.

Incapacity Benefit

If you can't work because of illness or disability you may be able to get Incapacity Benefit (IB), a weekly payment for people under State Pension age - currently 60 for women and 65 for men. Find out more about Incapacity Benefit.

Further advice

Please see our benefits and grants page for advice, guidance and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits. You can also use the Benefits calculator provided by GOV.UK to find out how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may claim.