Getting married abroad

You should first check with the authorities of the country in which you are getting married or forming a civil partnership to establish what legal preliminaries are needed.

Some countries require you to give notice to a registrar in this country and to produce a ‘certificate of no impediment’ in order for your ceremony to go ahead. However, this facility exists only in certain circumstances.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out what documents you need and how to apply for them.

Contact us