Getting help with your energy bills

Getting Help With Your Energy Bills

As a council we are committed to helping our residents reduce their fuel bills and keep warm and well.

There are several schemes now available to residents to remedy this, from UK Government support payments, free installation of central heating, switching energy supplier, support with fuel debts, energy saving measures, energy efficient appliances and more.

UK Government support

Cold weather payments

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.

The 2021 to 2022 Cold Weather Payment scheme has now ended. Next year’s scheme will start on 1 November 2022.

You’ll be able to check if your area is due a payment in November 2022. 

Energy Bill Support

Every household in Britain from October will get a £400 energy bill discount under the energy bill support scheme, including those who pay for energy using pay as you go or prepayment meters. Those on meters, which customers top up, will have the discount applied to the meter or get a voucher. 6 monthly payments.

This discount will be automatically applied to your bills.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

Warm Home Discount is a one-off payment to reduce eligible customers’ bills over the winter months. This winter (2022-23), it's rising from £140 to £150.

In winter 2022-23, most eligible households will get Warm Home Discount automatically.

This is different from previous years, when you had to claim the money from your supplier if you weren't claiming the Guarantee Credit portion of Pension Credit.

The warm home discount scheme will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

Winter fuel payments

If you are already in receipt of a state pension or other welfare benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions, you will automatically receive the payment.

If not, you will need to make a claim. For more information call the winter fuel payment helpline 08459 151 515.

Household energy savings

If you are struggling to pay your fuel bills, contact your energy suppliers in the first instance. Most offer reduced tariffs for low-income or vulnerable people.

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice Moondance Energy Advice Project provides one-to-one energy advice to fuel poor and vulnerable people who are struggling to pay their bills. They offer advice on fuel options, tariffs and energy grants, energy efficiency and income maximisation.

For more information on the service and the eligibility criteria, contact Citizens Advice on 0800 702 2020. If you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say using Relay UK 18001 then 08082 505 720.

Energy and Utility suppliers

Clients in debt to their energy supplier might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

However, many of the energy suppliers require you to first seek advice from a recognised debt advice charity

The following energy and utility suppliers offer grants to their customers:

Caerphilly County Borough Council Discretionary Assistance Fund

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grants that you do not need to pay back.

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you:

  • are experiencing extreme financial hardship
  • have lost your job
  • have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment

You cannot use it to pay for ongoing bills that you cannot afford to pay.

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into. What you can use the grant for,

Use the grant to pay for:

  • a fridge, cooker or washing machine and other ‘white goods’
  • home furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs

Visits Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) | GOV.WALES for advice on how to apply 

Further advice

Nest Wales

Nest Wales provides free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation to eligible residents. Visit the Nest Wales website or telephone 0808 808 2244.

Smart Meters

Can help to monitor your energy use and identify potential savings in your home. Contact your supplier for more information.

Age UK

You've probably noticed your energy bills going up. But it's important to know why this is happening and what you can do to stay on top of increasing costs. Age UK has a number of resources that can help you with your energy bills.

Contact us